Asking for Help

en español>

Small Claims Advisors

In California, each county's superior court has a Small Claims Advisor to help people with their small claims cases. This service is free of charge to you. 

  • The Small Claims Advisor cannot represent you in court nor serve as your attorney, but will help you by providing legal information you may need in order to represent yourself. The Small Claims Advisor may provide help to either side in a particular case. 
  • If help is needed with other types of issues, the Small Claims Advisor may be able to help you find others to contact for information, legal representation, or other kinds of assistance. 

    • For information about the Small Claims Advisor in the county where you live, click here. Opens new window

      For specific information about help in Contra Costa County, California: click here.

If you are thinking about going to small claims court, you may need more than just legal help. Please know that here are people who want to help. Sometimes it takes talking to several people before the right person is found, so ask everyone what he or she recommends. Don’t give up!

Some other resources or options to consider include:

  • Go to a library, buy a self-help book, or look on the internet.

    • To find your nearest California Public Law Library in your county, click here. Opens new window
  • Consumer issues: the Better Business Bureau, the Bureau of Automotive Repair, and the California Department of Consumer Affairs. 
  • Senior services: Elder abuse prevention programs, family caregiver services, etc. 
  • Mexican citizens living in Northern California can now get free legal help 24 hours a day through a hot line launched by the Bay Area's Mexican Consulates. Callers will speak with a lawyer or paralegal who can handle questions related to immigration, labor law, family law, and civil and criminal matters. 1-800-668-1005. 
  • More Helpful Links Opens new window

Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.