Requesting a Debtor’s Statement of Assets

en español>

A debtor who doesn't voluntarily pay the judgment within 30 days of when the Notice of Entry of Judgment was mailed (and who has not appealed the case or filed a motion to vacate the judgment) must fill out a Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets (Form SC-133Opens new window  and send it to you.
(See California Code of Civil Procedure, Section 116.830) Opens new window

This will give you information about the judgment debtor’s:

  • Employment,
  • Cash and bank deposits,
  • Property (including real estate),
  • Personal Property,
  • And other information.

Some debtors do not fill out and deliver the SC-133 form. If this happens, you should: 

  1. Print out a copy of the Form SC-133,
  2. Mail it to the judgment debtor, and 
  3. Ask that he or she complete it and return it to you immediately.

If the debtor still doesn’t send you the information you need to collect the judgment, you may ask the court to order the debtor back to court for you to do a debtor's examination. Opens new window

To learn how to request a debtor’s examination, click here.


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.