How to Collect from a Business

en español>

If you are collecting from a business you may:

Levy on the business’ bank account

To levy on a bank account means that money will be taken from the debtor's bank, checking or savings account to pay the judgment. You'll probably need the name and branch address of the bank or other financial institution. (If you wrote a check to the business, you may be able to look at the back of your cancelled check to find out where the debtor's business bank account is located.) 
To learn how to do this, click here.

Record an abstract of judgment

To record an abstract of judgment means to put a lien on any land, house, or other building the debtor owns in the county where it is recorded.  If the property is sold with title insurance, the debt will be paid out of the proceeds of the sale.
To learn how to do this, click here.

Have the sheriff do a "till tap”

If the debtor is a business with a cash register, the sheriff can go to the address of the business and take enough money out of the cash register to pay the judgment debt and the sheriff's fee.  First complete a Writ of Execution (Form EJ-130), Opens new window request the court clerk issue it, and take it to the sheriff.  Then instruct the sheriff in writing to do a "till tap." (There will be a sheriff's fee.) You must know the name and address of the business.

If there isn't enough money in the cash register to pay the judgment debt on the day a “till tap” is done, you'll have to request subsequent till taps and be prepared to pay another fee each time the sheriff goes back.

Place a sheriff at the business as “a keeper”

A sheriff can also be assigned for half a day or a full day to collect all the money that comes in during the time period that the sheriff is on site. This is called placing “a keeper.”  Keepers can be assigned  for up to 10 days maximum.  If your judgment is not fully paid by the 10th day, and you want to continue to collect on the business the sheriff will have to seize the business’ inventory and/or assets.

There are other types of levies you may do. Check with the Small Claims Advisor Opens new window in your county for more information.



Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.