How to Remove a Lien

en español>

After the judgment debtor has paid you, the judgment creditor, in full, you MUST file an Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form EJ-100) Opens new window with the court. 
To learn how to do this, click here.

Also, if you placed any liens on the judgment debtor’s real property you must remove the liens.

NOTE:  If you do not remove the liens, you may be liable for any damages that the judgment debtor may suffer because you didn’t remove them.

Personal Property --

If you filed judgment liens with the Secretary of State’s office on the debtor’s personal property:

Step 1.
Get and fill out a copy of the Secretary of State’s:

  •  Notice of Judgment Lien Release or Subordination (Form JL-3) Opens new window

Step 2. Optional:
  Attach a certified copy Opens new window of the Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form EJ-100) to the JL-3 form.

Step 3.
Include the fee.

Step 4.
Mail to the:

Secretary of State
P.O. Box 942835
Sacramento, CA 94235

Real Property --

If you filed any abstracts of the judgment on the real property of the debtor:

Step 1.
Write a letter to each county where you placed a lien.  Include the: 

  • Case number 
  • Name of the Debtor(s), as written in the Abstract of Judgment 
  • Name and address of the institution holding the property (usually a bank) 
  • Date when the lien is to be “released.”

Step 2.
Attach a certified copy of the Acknowledgement of Satisfaction of Judgment (Form EJ-100) to each letter.

to mail a copy of everything you do to the judgment debtor.


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.