How to Provide Information About Your Finances

en español>

If you do not pay the judgment debt within 30 days from the date the Notice of Entry of Judgment is mailed (and you have not appealed the case or filed a motion to vacate the judgment), you must fill out a Judgment Debtor's Statement of Assets
(Form SC-133Opens new window and send it to the judgment creditor. (See California Code of Civil Procedure, Section 116.830) Opens new window

This will give the judgment creditor information about your:

  • Employment 
  • Cash and bank deposits 
  • Property (including real estate) 
  • Personal Property
  • And other information.

      If you do not send the information required within 30 days from the date the Notice of Entry of Judgment is mailed by the court, the judgment creditor may ask the court to order you back to court to do a debtor's examination. Opens new window

You need to know that if you are ordered to appear for a debtor’s examination, there are very serious consequences if you do not show up in court as ordered, or if you lie during the examination.

  • If you don’t show up for the debtor’s examination, the court has the power to issue a bench warrant for your arrest and/or fine you for up to $500. 
  • If you appear and provide false information knowingly, you may be in contempt of court, which may result in your answering in front of the judge, paying a fine of up to $500 and/or being arrested and put in jail.

To learn more about debtors’ examinations and what you may be required to do, click here.


Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.