How to Find a Person

en español>

When you file a court case, you have to know the exact legal name and address of the person, business or government agency that you want to sue.

NOTE:  The address you may use to sue a person could vary. For example, you could use the person’s last known address, such as the address of his or her parents if that was the defendant’s last known address.

If the person you are suing has moved:
Send a letter to their last address. Under your return address, write "Return Service Requested. Do Not Forward." If the person filed an address change with the post office, you'll get the letter back with a new address. For more information from the United States Postal Service, click here. Opens new window

If you think that the person you are suing owns property:
Your local tax assessor's office Opens new window can search the tax rolls for you. You can find the tax assessor's address and phone number in the government pages of your phone book.  It is usually in the county section under ASSESSOR.

You can also get this information from the county registrar/recorder's office. Opens new window  You can find the address and phone number in the government pages of your phone book. It is usually in the county section under CLERK - RECORDER.

If you only know the person's phone number:
You can get the address from a reverse directory. You can look at this directory at the main branch of your public libraryOpens new window The address will not be in the reverse directory if the phone number is unlisted.

You can also use the reverse directory online. Opens new window 
There is usually a fee for this search.




Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.