What If I Can’t Find the Debtor?

en español>

If you are the judgment creditor, you may not need to know the debtor's location if, for example, you know the bank branch where the debtor has his or her accounts.

On the other hand, you may need to do a debtor's examination at the courthouse. If you need to do a debtor's examination, you will need to fill out form SC-134, which must be personally served Opens new window by a process server or sheriff/marshal. You have to know where the debtor can be found so you can tell the process server where to look.

Some ways to try to locate the debtor: 

  • Use the Internet and its search tools: white pages, reverse look-up, etc. 
  • Check with the county assessor to see if the debtor, debtor's spouse, or the debtor's domestic partner owns real property. Some county assessors will confirm if a debtor owns real property over the phone. To find a local tax assessor, click hereOpens new window
  • Search the county clerk's records to find if the person has a fictitious business name statement on file with an address. 
  • Check with the court to see if there are any other lawsuits filed against the debtor, the debtor's spouse, or the debtor's domestic partner and see if an address is listed in that file.





Did this information help you?  Tell us what you think.